- Consider marriage and family a life-long commitment, no matter what, just as Christ is eternally committed to His bride, the church, no matter what.
- Agree to listen to each other’s feelings, always, even if you disagree.
- Commit yourself to honesty.
- Attempt and be determined to love each other unconditionally.
Before a “fair fight”
- Consider all factors in a conflict before bringing it up with your family member.
- Confess any personal sin on your part.
- Aim for conflict resolution, not for a win. Remember you both win if the conflict is resolved.
- Pray about each conflict before discussing it.
During a “fair fight”
- Limit the conflict to the here and now. Never bring up past failures.
- Limit the discussion to the issue at hand.
- No name calling or blaming or sneering.
- Your goal is not to get even.
- No excuses, take responsibility for your part.
- Treat a person’s feelings with respect.
- Identify the problem and focus on the problem not the person.
- Attack the problem not the person.
- Listen with an open mind.
When to stop and call Foul
If there are any of the following you need to stop:
- Put downs
- Not taking responsibility
At Christian Counseling of Arkansas we are here to help. If you need support or help please call as at 870 935 4102